A Little History:
Shiloh Baptist Church is located in a beautiful rural setting four miles southwest of Chipley, Florida on State Road 277. The church is affiliated with the West Florida Baptist Association, the Florida Baptist Convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
From it's humble beginning as a quarter-time rural church to its present standing, Shiloh has had a vital Christian influence in Washington County and surrounding areas. It has served as a source of strength, a means to spiritual growth and a place of worship for it's members and visitors.
Shiloh's first meeting place was in Peel Schoolhouse, located about five miles south of Chipley near Highway 77, in 1904. The church met in conference the last Saturday of December, 1904. At this time the first preacher, J.M. Smith, read the church covenant which was then adopted by the church membership. The minutes, recorded by J.P. Dean as Church clerk, note that the conference was then adjourned until Sunday, January 1, "to attend to some unfinished business." After preaching by Brother Smith, J.E. Shipes was ordained as Deacon of the church, and Brother Eithel Morris was ordained as "minister of the gospel." Sister Shipes suggested the name Shiloh, Hebrew for "tranquility", which was adopted. The offering was two dollars - one dollar to buy a book and one dollar to send to missions.
On April 13, 1951, the membership voted to build a new brick church. Some members pledged money, hogs, hog feed, corn, etc. Dedication of the new Shiloh Baptist Church took place on April 18, 1954.
On January 27, 2002, the new 850 seat worship center was dedicated and is now being used for services. Come join us as we give God the thanks and glory for this lovely new building.